How to Launch a Profitable Side Hustle Buying, Repairing, and Selling or Renting Real Estate—NEW for 2021.
by Doc Kane
Updated: May 12, 2021
- Overall Rating:
- Resource Support:
- Ease of Launch:
- Realistic Timeline to First Sale:
- Exit Possibilities:
- Skills Required:
- Time Commitment to Meet First Sale Goal:
1. Why and when you might want to consider a Side Hustle as a Real Estate Investor
When I was in high school, there were a number of teachers that rehabbed houses together. I helped them on the weekends tear out the lathe of old houses purchase for cheap because they were falling apart and abandoned. A few, I recall were bought from the city for only a buck. My history teacher was the main guy behind the operation… he’d take out the loan, buy the property and manage all the contractors (those other teachers)… it was a beautiful operation, and he slowly turned around blocks of real estate in my town, one house and one apartment building at a time.
I learned so much from him, and always wanted to do similar work. I love getting my hands dirty, and the work is infinitely rewarding. In Japan there are a TON of opportunities to do this sort of thing. What you need is a team, smart investing, and time. All of which are possible to get if you know where to look, are interested in Japanese real estate and have the hustle in you.
Japan is one of the few countries in Asia were foreigners can own property, and we have a glut of abandoned in the market place. So, where to start?
Well, my bet is there are countless men and women in your military network with the ability to team construct a house, and you could be up and running in no time. All you really need is someone to get you though the hoops of the investing part of things. The money. There are a few places to start, and brokerages designed to help non-Japanese do this sort of work here in the country. I’ll get you off on the right foot a bit below.
Also, check out active duty Marine, David Pere’s From Military to Millionaire website. He has a ton of useful information that can take you from no concept as to how to get started with investing, to truly being on your feet. David also runs a podcast you might be interested in, particularly if you’re considering starting your own. If you’re interested in learning how to earn money through a variety of investing verticals, I would start with David’s site.
- Argentum Properties
- Nippon Tradings
- ReThinkTokyo.com (How to Flip a House in Japan)
- “House Flipper Takes Advantage of Japan’s 8-million Plus Empty Homes,” from The Japan Times.
- “What You Should Know Before Buying a Vacant House in Japan” —from Real Estate Japan
- “How Can I Invest in Japanese Property?” from Tyton Capital (Investing, and Financing… good advice.)
- “Why the Japanese Real Estate Market is ‘Different.’” from HouseKey.jp
- “Buying Land in Japan: What are the Types of Property Rights?” —from Sekai Property
- “Beware the Patter About Purchasing Property to Rent Out Around Tokyo,” from The Japan Times
- “You Want to Flip Akiya (Unused House, 空き家) Into a Rental Property in Japan?: Please Do the Math First” by Toshihiko Yamamoto, author of The Savvy Foreign Investor’s Guide to Japanese Properties
So, what do you think? Is 2021 your year to finally start a blog in Japan? Register your domain name for only $18.00, and get a grid hosting plan (the exact plan I use) for only $20.00 a month.
Got a good eye for undervalued property? Good with your hands, and good at management? You might want to consider real estate investing. If you have access to capital, or can get it, the returns can be quite lucrative (as you already know). Discover the first six figure addition to your income portfolio with Real Estate Express.
Want more of Nihon Hustle? Visit these reader favorites!