Send Money to Japan with TransferWise (Now, Wise)
Nihon Hustle is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
TransferWise (Now, Wise)
Updated: September 28, 2022
Wise has a nice slogan that they most certainly follow through on: “A cheaper, faster way to send money abroad.” Recently, my father used Wise to send me money here in Japan, and it was well… fun. You can read the full Wise review if you want a feel for what it’s actually like to send money from the U.S. to Japan.
Also, re: the updated date above… I had a recent inquiry from a reader who watched my video review below. The below question was tossed at me:
Can you use a Singapore or Japan issued Wise ATM card to withdraw money from ATMs in Japan?
Turns out that, yep… you can. Here is the exact correspondence I received from Wise:
“Hi Doc, Thanks for being patient while we worked to get back to you. I’ll be happy to answer these questions.
The Wise card you’re issued with depends on the country you’re residing in. For example, our customers residing in Singapore get a Singapore-issued card. If you already have a Singapore-issued card and you’re living in Japan currently, you can use your existing card in ATMs in Japan.
You can even use it in most countries where debit cards are accepted. Read more here: https://wi.se/whereyoucanuseyourcard Our card is available to our customers in Japan.
If you’ve not created a Wise card and you’re residing in Japan, you can apply for a Japan-issued card. Similar to a Singapore-issued card, you can also withdraw money from Japanese ATMs and you can read more on the ATM fees here: https://wi.se/atmcost
I hope these help, let me know if you’ve more questions.”
So, there you have it. Straight from the good folks at Wise Japan.
- Always get the real exchange rate
- More affordable transfer fees than banks
- Lowest possible fees when compared to typical wire transfer services
- Transfer money without knowing the recipient’s bank account number
- Transfer money to an email address (great for paying remote teams, or accepting payment as a freelancer
- Transparency of exchange rates and fees
How to use TransferWise Japan
- Send money to 71 countries (as of Jan. 2021)
- Send money from 47 countries (as of Jan. 2021)
- Very rapid international money transfers
- Wise Borderless account in multiple currencies for travelers, expats, and freelancers… anyone, really!
- A Wise Borderless account lets you add money in: AUD, BGN, CAD, CHF, CZK, DKK, EUR, GBP, HRK, HUF, JPY, NOK, NZD, PLN, RON, SEK, SGD, TRY and USD.
- Industry standard safety and trust
No fees. Transfers in minutes. Customer friendly. Wise international money transfers are often the way to go when sending money to and from Japan.