Here's A Tried And True Way To Get Your First Consulting Client
How to start a consulting practice the way people have been doing it for years…
(originally posted on LinkedIn)
Here's a tried and true way to get your first consulting client:
Here’s a tried and true way to get your first consulting client:
1. Get a local business publication.
2. Create a list of twenty companies you believe you can help based on your work experience.
3. Find the contact at that company whom you’re most likely to be able to help.
4. Call them to let them know you’re available as a freelancer or fractional employee. (Basically, just introduce yourself.)
5. Follow up via email if you get no response.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 of this process until you hear some version of “yes, no, not now, I will let you know.” If you really want to hustle, use postal mail as well.
7. Thank those who say “no” for their time and take them off your list for a year or so.
8. Add a new person to your list for everyone you remove.
9. Handle all other responses as is necessary.
10. Keep at it.
And that’s it.
Do this every week for a year, and I can guarantee you’ll get bites.
P.S. Don’t listen to anyone who says this doesn’t work. It does.
Go get ‘em.
#1000Entrepreneurs #BusinessinJapan #b2bmarketing #consulting #sales #marketing
If you’d like more practical tips like this, as well as access to stories I only release in my “Head Down, Beard Out” email, you can get in on that goodness below. Cheers, D