How to Start a Business in Japan: Spotlight on Okayama
- (Okayama Prefecture business support services for solopreneurs and SMEs of all shapes and sizes)
- Starting a Business in Okayama?
- Where should you start a business in Okayama Prefecture?
- Entrepreneurial Business Support, and Brainstorming Prompts to Help You Start a Business in Okayama Prefecture
- More Okayama Area Business Resources
- Business Incentives in Okayama
- Real Estate and Finance in Okayama
- Travel to Kyoto | Life in Okayama
- Want to explore business opportunities in all eight regions of Japan? Visit our regional resource collections below. (Only Kansai is live at the moment, more coming as things develop throughout 2021!)
- Start Your Business in the Chugoku Region's, Okayama, Today.
- Let's Build Something Together
- Need to book a business hotel in Okayama?
(Okayama Prefecture business support services for solopreneurs and SMEs of all shapes and sizes)
Whether you're looking to start a business in Japan's Okayama prefecture, or grow an SME already located in beautiful Chugoku, this growing list of resources should help. Want me to feature you on this list? Please reach out.
Updated: April 4, 2021
Starting a Business in Okayama?
Ask the Government
Get help from prefectural establishments geared interested in attracting and keeping SMEs in Okayama.
Look to Private Industry
Work with those already in the trenches and develop the resources that will help you and Okayama grow together.
If you need physical office or manufacturing space for your business in Japan, Okayama has tech parks, and plenty of other commerical real estate to assist you in your venture.
Starting from Scratch?
Working on a startup in Okayama? Let's see who is here to help you pull that off.
Where should you start a business in Okayama Prefecture?
(Okayama‘s biggest cities are: Okayama, Kurushiki, Tsuyama, Sōja, Tamano, Kasaoka, Maniwa (Ochiai), Ibara, Akaiwa (Sanyō), Bizen, and Takahashi)
Howdy, all, I’m Doc. I live in the beautiful port city of Kobe, JAPAN. I launched this site to help others interested in working with, or starting, a business in Japan.
We all wear different hats, my job is to help you find the one that fits you best. Thanks for reading, and go get ’em!
Entrepreneurial Business Support, and Brainstorming Prompts to Help You Start a Business in Okayama Prefecture
- Okayama International Business Association (Member Database Link, in Japanese)
- WAOJE (World Association of Overseas Japanese)
- Vis-a-Vis (Marketing agency involved with the promotion of Okayama prefecture)
- Small and Medium Businesses Creation Fund in Okayama (From the Prefectural Office)
- NUCB Business School Okayama Prefectural Office Case Study (I've included this because they have a pretty interesting, well ranked and regarded SME Consultant and MBA program. Not restricted to Okayama.)
- Okayama Research Park Incubator
- Okayama University Incubator
- Okayama Prefectural Office Page about Business Support in the Region (lots of links and info… all in Japanese)
- Startup Weekend Okayama
- ESD Okayama Award (Many opportunities to network with NPOs and entrepreneurs)
- JETRO Okayama
- Okayama City (Financing, free consultations, taxes and other information regarding SMEs in Okayama City)
- Business Incubator Okayama
- Need to book a hotel in Okayama? Booking.com has some of the most useful search tools and access to a large inventory of properties. It's the only tool I use when traveling in and out of Japan.
Labor Force (2015)
Number of Establishments (2014)
More Okayama Area Business Resources
Business Incentives in Okayama
Real Estate and Finance in Okayama
Travel to Kyoto | Life in Okayama
Want to explore business opportunities in all eight regions of Japan? Visit our regional resource collections below. (Only Kansai is live at the moment, more coming as things develop throughout 2021!)
Start Your Business in the Chugoku Region's, Okayama, Today.
Let's Build Something Together
I've done my best to include a variety of resources here that might help you launch, or grow a business in the beautiful Chugoku region, but if I've missed something, or if you're looking for something in particular, please reach out and I'll see what I can do to help.
I need help recruiting experienced and new staff...
Throughout 2021, I'll be fleshing out these individual sections on each prefectural page. In this section I'm going to cover mid-career recruiting here in Japan, as well as some of the work I'm doing with my SkilledJapan.com service.
If you're a recruiter, and would like to be interviewed for this page, or are interested in sponsoring this section, please reach out via the Nihon Hustle contact form on the left side of this page.
What industrial clusters are common in Okayama?
There numerous industrial clusters throughout the Okayama region. Below are a few of the more prominent sectors:
◇ In Kurashiki City's Mizushima Industrial District, there are a number of larger firms in the petroleum, chemical, steel, and automobile industries. Okayama also has a reputation for having developed a number of nationally known local industries in the textile, refractory, and machinery/metal industries.
Source: JETRO, Okayama
What are some of the more well known firms operating in Okayama?
Are there venture funds, or private investors for startups in the area?
Members of the Japan Venture Capital Association are understandably active throughout Okayama. Below are a few VC firms that consistently pop up on the radar in Kyoto and in nearby Osaka. If you would like to be listed here, or are interesting in our sponsorship package, just reach out using the Nihon Hustle contact form on the left of this page.
- Kobashi Industries
- Chugoku Bank
- Tomato Bank
- Ikoma Holdings
Do you have any prefecture-agnostic (but specific) resources available?
Yes! On our resources page you can find all sorts of research, case studies, guides, stories, and links that might help you further research your market here in Japan.
Do you recommend any tools for businesses?
I do, actually. All of the tools I use personally in my business, or that I have reviewed and tested, are on my Toolbox page.